Humber Wood Recycling Project Ltd depends to a great degree on the help and assistance provided by volunteers from the local community in order to continue to provide our collection service and much more. It is no exaggeration to say that volunteers are the lifeblood of our organisation.
We welcome volunteers from all walks of life - whether you have a lifetime of previous workplace experience and skills that could be put to good use within our organisation or someone at the opposite end of the spectrum who has no previous experience but who may want to learn new skills. We are confident of finding something for everyone to do which in turn will reap rewards for the individuals concerned.
Work Tasks Available
- Collecting waste wood from construction sites and other venues where such waste is generated (going out in our caged truck as a driver or drivers mate)
- Sorting, grading, de-nailing and preparation of timber for resale
- Stocking our retail wood store
- Retailing wood for sale to the public, serving customers, taking phone calls from the public
- Performing ‘added value’ tasks such as sanding or cutting to length timber for customers
- Making of items for subsequent retail sale
- Assisting with the completion of administrative tasks such as general admin, marketing and record keeping.
What We Offer
We provide all required personal protective equipment (PPE) relevant to tasks apart from safety footwear which we ask our volunteers to supply themselves.
All volunteers receive induction training as well as the opportunity to complete a 5 or 12 week internal training programme which can result in receiving certificates in ‘Competence in health & safety’ or the “Real Work Award’.
And for those volunteers who commit to attending 2 days a week for a minimum 4 hour session we can pay a contribution to travel costs.
Interested In Volunteering?
Collections work in particular can be physically demanding and there can be a lot of manual handling tasks to be undertaken.
Generally, an ability to be versatile in respect of your ability and willingness to get involved and to learn how to complete a multitude of tasks would be appreciated.
If you are interested in volunteering please click on the button below to fill out our volunteer form (link opens in a new window).